Montana Cosmetology Insurance

If you are a current cosmetologist in the state of Montana, it is important for you to protect both your credibility as a beauty professional and the finances of your business. Because the cosmetology industry is vast and there are many services provided that require you to get up close and personal with your clients, there will never be zero percent risk of potential accidents.

Fortunately, there is a simple solution to ease the stress of potential lawsuits—carrying the appropriate liability insurance.

Two Main Types of Cosmetology Insurance

Professional liability (malpractice): covers you on claims made resulting in negligence on behalf of the services you provide. For example, if a client suffers an injury during a wax treatment due to wax being too hot, this could result in a lawsuit. However, this scenario would be covered.

General liability (or slip-and-fall scenario): covers you on claims made resulting from injuries or damages that occurred on the property of your business—including a client tripping on a chair in your waiting room or an accident that causes injury or medical bills.

Do I need cosmetology coverage?

You may be thinking you learned safety techniques in beauty school or you’ve been practicing for years and haven’t had a lawsuit yet, but knock on wood. Due to the variety of products cosmetologists use on a daily basis and the closeness of these services provided, there will never be zero risk. Some potential scenarios could even be out of your control, such as a client tripping on a chair in your waiting room or stealing a pair of shears on his or her way out the door.  Lawsuits that could result in each of these scenarios would be covered, if you carried the appropriate beauty insurance.

Carrying liability insurance is a wise decision for both your reputation as a professional and the well-being of your finances.

Montana Cosmetology FAQs

Am I eligible to obtain a cosmetology license?

If you are at least 18 years old and have completed a high school education or GED, you are eligible to obtain a cosmetology license in the state of Montana.

What do I need to do to obtain my cosmetology license?

You will have to complete 2,000 school/course hours and pass the appropriate exams.

Do I need a license to be a cosmetology instructor?

Yes, you need a cosmetology license, complete a 650-hour teacher training course, and have one year of work experience.

Does the state of Montana require me to complete continuing education units (CEUs)?

Yes, cosmetologists are required to complete 30 CEUs every two years, and instructors are required to complete 60 CEUs every two years.

How often do I need to renew my cosmetology license?

A person practicing cosmetology must renew his or her license biennially by March 1st—along with a $80 dollar fee.

Moving to Montana from another state?

No problem, just make sure you hold a valid license in a state with comparable training and testing requirements. Otherwise, you may be required to take additional training hours plus pass national exams.