Iowa Cosmetology Insurance

If you’re a licensed cosmetologist in the state of Iowa, carrying an insurance policy is the only way to protect yourself and your well-earned license in the beauty industry. The services you provide can make your clients look and feel their best. But with the closeness of the majority of services, even the most seasoned beauty professional can make a mistake resulting in a potential lawsuit.

Fortunately for you, managing these risks is simple. Choosing to carry the appropriate liability insurance can save both yourself and your business from a financially-draining lawsuit.


Two Main Types of Cosmetology Insurance

Professional liability (or malpractice): protects against claims from clients who have suffered injury or damages due to negligence on behalf of the cosmetologist. For example, during a waxing treatment, the wax becomes too hot and blisters the client’s skin. The client would then most likely choose to file a lawsuit against you.

General liability (or slip-and-fall scenario): protects both yourself and your business from a lawsuit potentially stemming from products supplied by your service or customers experiencing injury in the environment in which you run your business. For example, a client could slip on hair on a salon floor, suffer an injury, and choose to file a claim against you.

Why carry cosmetology insurance?

The risk of accidents happening in the cosmetology industry will never cease—lawsuits do happen. It would be a financially wise decision for any cosmetologist practicing in the state of Iowa to obtain the proper liability insurance to protect not only themselves but their businesses.

Having the appropriate cosmetology insurance can prevent a lawsuit from ruining your reputation and your career.

Iowa Cosmetology FAQs

Do I have prerequisites to complete?

If you are at least 16 years old and have completed at least a 10th grade education or equivalent, you are eligible to obtain a cosmetology license in the state of Iowa.

What do I need to do to obtain my cosmetology license?

You will have to complete 2,100 hours and pass the appropriate exams.

Do I need a license to be a cosmetology instructor?

Yes, you will need to have a cosmetology license plus have completed 1,000 teacher training hours. Or, two years of experience in the last six years.

Does the state of Iowa require me to complete continuing education units (CEUs)?

Yes, eight CEUs are required every two years.

How often do I need to renew my cosmetology license?

A person practicing cosmetology must renew his or her license by December 31 of each even-numbered year—along with a $60 dollar fee.

Moving to Iowa from another state?

No problem, just make sure you transfer through endorsement. You must be licensed in a state with similar or equivalent requirements for 12 of the last 24 months.