Vermont Cosmetology Insurance

As a professional cosmetologist in the state of Vermont, it is important to carry liability insurance to protect your career and your business.

A quality Vermont cosmetology insurance policy will cover you from most commonly filed claims. These lawsuits could come from clients claiming that your service caused personal injury or bodily harm, and even some property damage. A lawsuit can be both financially and emotionally stressful and can prevent you from providing your best services to your clients.

Two Main Types of Cosmetology Insurance

Professional liability (malpractice): protects lawsuits made against a client claiming an error against the services you provide. For example, if a client has a negative skin reaction to a wax used during a treatment, he or she could choose to file a claim against you.

General liability (or slip-and-fall scenario): protects you from claims made from damages that occurred due to a slip-and-fall situation—a client trips on the floor of your business, and it causes bodily injury or medical costs. The client could choose to file a lawsuit against you.

Why should I carry cosmetology insurance?

As a cosmetologist, you provide services to your clients that require you to get up close and personal with them, while administering beauty treatments. You use potentially hazardous sharp instruments, chemicals, high-heat tools, and other types of equipment. Because of the closeness of the majority of services provided combined with the use of potentially harmful instruments, it is important to be prepared for this type of accident to happen.

Vermont Cosmetology FAQs

Do I have prerequisites to complete?

If you are at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED, you are eligible to obtain your license in the state of Vermont.

What do I need to do to obtain my cosmetology license?

You will have to complete 1,500 school hours, or 24-month apprenticeship, and pass all theory, practical, and state law exams.

Do I need a license to be a cosmetology instructor?

Yes, you need a cosmetology license, three years of full-time experience, and to pass exams.

Does the state of Vermont require me to complete continuing education units (CEUs)?

Yes, 24 CEUs every two years.

How often do I need to renew my cosmetology license?

A person practicing cosmetology must renew his or her license by November 30 of every odd-numbered year—plus pay a $130 dollar fee.

Moving to Vermont from another state?

You must hold a license in a state whose requirements are equal or superior to Vermont’s and pass a state law exam.